Wednesday, October 26, 2011
PREPARING FOR THE NANOWRIMO IN 10 EASY STEPS
By Maria Ferrer
Inspiration is arriving on November 1st. November is National Novel Writing Month (aka NaNoWriMo). The challenge is 50,000 words in 30 days. Here are 10 easy steps to help you prepare for the big NaNoWriMo launch:
1. Stock up on chocolate. Cupcakes and champagne work just as well.
2. Throw away all the red pens in the house. If you are using a computer, throw away all the ink cartridges. No printing, no editing. Editing is not allowed at any time in the next month.
3. Clean the house now, because household chores are a no-no in November. You need your time to write. Unless of course, you need to clean to be inspired. Then don’t clean now; let the dirt accumulate until you need inspiration.
4. Buy lots of cereal, spaghetti cans and TV dinners. The family needs to eat; You have the chocolate.
5. Buy fat notebooks and lots of pens and pencils. If you are techy savvy, buy your netbook / iPad/ computer now. Work out all the kinks and make sure you know where all the power cables are.
6. Mark your territory now. Fill it with your writing must-haves. For example, around my writing spot I have the remote control for the radio/CD player; a coaster for my large bottle of water; a paper block and Donald Duck mug full of pens and markers. The other junk on the table doesn’t bear mentioning.
7. Buy a big “DO NOT DISTURB” sign for your door. A big pit bull works just as well.
8. Keep the boy toys handy. Sex is research. Costumes optional.
9. Register at the NaNoWriMo website by October 31: http://www.nanowrimo.com/.
10. Buy more chocolate. You are going to need it!
REMEMBER: You are a writer. You can do it. Join me. ♥
COMMENT: Do leave a comment and let us know if you are entering the NaNoWriMo this year. If so, tell us how you are preparing for the big event.